The Minnesota Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) provides free, confidential environmental assistance to small businesses. SBEAP helps small businesses maintain compliance with new and existing environmental requirements, reduce or eliminate the amounts of emissions and wastes generated, and reduce regulatory obligation.
Small businesses are generally defined as independently owned and operated businesses with fewer than 100 employees that are not major sources of waste or emissions.
SBEAP services include:
- One-on-one, confidential compliance assistance on the SBEAP Hotline at
(651) 282-6143 or (800) 657-1238.
- Confidential onsite visits.
- Educational opportunities such as workshops, trainings, events, printed materials, and informational mailings.
- Pollution-prevention and best-management-practice assistance and referrals.
- Communication between the MPCA and businesses.
- Advocacy on behalf of businesses.
These services are free, non-regulatory, and impose no obligations. Business-specific information is held confidential from enforcement except in cases of imminent danger to human health and the environment. More information
Grants: In addition, SBEAP has approximately $300,000 available to help small-business partners interested in reducing emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs can be reduced by making changes to manufacturing processes and heating equipment, and through facility-wide opportunities such as reducing vehicle miles traveled, purchasing environmentally friendly supplies, and improving energy efficiency.
Many of these changes can save small businesses money by reducing permitting fees and paperwork, improving the efficiency of machines and buying/using less chemicals. Please visit the website to sign up for email updates on this funding and find out more information on how your business can reduce VOCs. More information